Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman Dies

I always think of Cool Hand Luke. I don't know if it was his best role, The Color of Money certainly wasn't, in my opinion. For me Luke was his defining character.

While reading the obituary of Paul Newman here, I noticed that he was a known Liberal. It made me wonder why actors usually seem to be Democrats. Then I thought of Charlton Heston. Then I came upon this fantastic video of Bob Hope, which explains everything.




What do you think? Why are so many Hollywood people activists for liberal causes? What did Bob Hope mean? Was Charlton Heston alone among his fellow actors in his political beliefs?

1 comment:

  1. "Why are so many Hollywood people activists for liberal causes? What did Bob Hope mean? Was Charlton Heston alone among his fellow actors in his political beliefs?"

    I can't comment for Bob Hope as he's from a generation prior to mine. I DO know that known Communists were Black-Listed from Hollywood Productions in the 50s and well today George Clooney doesn't have trouble finding work...

    As for the liberals in Hollywood, Heston was definitely in the minority (Read any of the press for the upcoming conservative comedy "An American Carrol") But I see this as being linked to their career. Actors are Artists, they're dreamers, they're condemned to a cast that either makes millions or lives in a shitty walk-up apartment and shops in thrift stores....there IS no middle ground.

    Their job performance is never calculated in relevance to real-world results, but more to laughter, smiles, and good reviews. Same goes to other performers of the arts...who also tend to reside on the side of liberals...with exception to Country and Western Music, but that more often has to do with their roots in the Christian Right and farming communities.

    I'll note that also many of these artists are EXTREMELY liberal, not moderately so.

    Actors also tend to have trouble with drinking and drugs, a huge number of them have depression and other mental problems, and lots of them are well-known philanderers.

    So long as they make lovely movies, I don't give a shit : ]

    ReplyDelete