Friday, January 9, 2009

The Year of the Diamond Dogs - 1974

Twenty-one years old, not a care in the world, I was cruising along in South Jersey one sunny afternoon when I came within range of the Philadelphia radio stations. David Bowie was appearing in the Tower Theater, said the DJ. As a special promotion, he explained, listeners could send in a self-addressed stamped envelope in order to win four free tickets. Three weeks later my friends and I sat in the front row having received what must have been the very first tickets issued, Row A, seats 1 through 4.

That was July 1974. The album, David Live, was recorded there. Looking back, what amazes me is that Bowie was just 27 years old then, already the author of a huge body of artistic work.

Yesterday was his 62nd birthday. Happy Birthday David. May you have many many more.

Here's a wonderful interview from a few years ago where he talks about growing older, about where the idea of "Ziggy" came from and about his father.

5 comments:

  1. My first exposure to him was The Man Who Sold The World....
    I saw him when he was the backing vocalist and keyboard player along with the Sales Brothers (the sons of comedian, Soupy Sales) when Iggy Pop was beginning to tour again after recording The Idiot.
    That was a pretty humble move and also an act of total support for Pop.
    Bowie was the superstar and he relegated himself to the role of back up musician in a pretty low key way.
    Of course, Bowie had long admitted the effect Pop, an obscure musician from Detroit had on him, the song Jean Genie on Ziggy Stardust was inspired by Pop.
    I have recently started to listen to Station to Station by Bowie with new ears again.
    Young Americans.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the song "Diamond Dogs"--my favorite on the record of the same name. (and remember the cover art? Freaked everyone out at the time!)

    People used to say, Lou Reed was the Father, David Bowie was the son, and Iggy was the Holy Spirit. Makes total sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, Bowie had long admitted the effect Pop, an obscure musician from Detroit had on him, the song Jean Genie on Ziggy Stardust was inspired by Pop.

    Correction--that song is on Aladdin Sane, as is the Iggy-tribute "Panic in Detroit."

    Mike and Microdot, if you've never seen the movie VELVET GOLDMINE, check it out... it's a fictionalized (just barely!) account of the whole scene...they even use real music from the time period! Ewan McGregor does the best Iggy Pop impersonation I've seen to date. The Bowie-character (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), is named Bryan Slade, a nice amalgam of Bryan Ferry (of Roxy Music, who has a cameo) and the band Slade. The scene in which Bryan Slade first sees Iggy (whom they name "Curt Wilde") is just terrific.

    Christian Bale plays a journalist "hunting" for Slade, obviously borrowed from Citizen Kane. In fact, one scene with Toni Collette (who plays the Angie Bowie character, Mrs Slade) is lifted directly from Kane ... which I found thrilling, since I also adore Citizen Kane.

    If you loved the glam-rock scene, you'll love the movie. Here's the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy, thanks for the Velvet Goldmine link. I have wanted to see that film for ages, perhaps I will get it soon.
    I love Todd Haynes work, I saw his Karen Carpenter Barbie Doll animation movie in the 90's.
    Did you see his Dylan Film, He's Not There? I saw it here in France, absolutely brilliant.
    I'm not such a big fan of "Glam Rock" as ssuch, but there are figures who stand head and high heels above the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "People used to say, Lou Reed was the Father, David Bowie was the son, and Iggy was the Holy Spirit. Makes total sense."

    I don't think Barb's gonna like that. I sure did though. Thanks, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete