Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars

Once again this year, I've succeeded in not seeing even one of the big films. Partly it's because I live outside of the United States, but more than that it's just that I have an extremely hectic lifestyle which rarely permits an evening at the movies.

I follow the stories though and was pleased to see Sean Penn win best actor. Not only is he one of the great talents working in films today, in my opinion, but the homosexual theme of the film made it a sort-of liberal cause that I support.

But, for me, Mickey Rourke is the greatest. On The Huffington Post site I found this story about his winning the Independent Spirit Award for Best Actor. His acceptance speech is a wonderful display of the down-to-earth, likable character that he is. Here's the video and below that, his shattering performance in The Pledge.





7 comments:

  1. I still can't wait to see Killshot. I'm a tad apprehensive because it never got much of a theater release and was deeply delayed in post production, and I guess deeply edited.

    Might suck, but it was my favorite Elmore Leonard novel of all times, and it stars Rourke as "The Blackbird" the French-Canadian Native American Mafia Hitman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm happy to hear Slumdog Millionaire got eight of 'em. excellent movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what did Eric Roberts do that put him on the naughty list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious about that too, Mr. P. I'll try to find it later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/spirit-awards-m.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. P., Did that link solve the mystery? I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kindof. Basically Roberts got a bad reputation for being high maintentance, druggie, drunk and unreliable. So the word got out and he found out that you need other people to survive in HollyMollyWood

    ReplyDelete