Monday, March 2, 2009

Blood Oranges

Our friend and frequent commenter, Il Principe, has posted a most delightful piece about living in Rome. This post could easily follow my own What I love about Rome (part I).

Here's what the Grand Prince has to say about the blood orange:
Intrigued by the name of the variety when I first heard about it, I was curious as how they tasted compared to Florida oranges. Pleasantly surprised, the blood orange has a mild sweet flavor. It is fun to eat the oranges, look down at your hands, and see the red juice that looks like blood dripping from your fingers.

The witty title of his post is The Godfather, Berlusconi and oranges in Italy. In describing shopping in the outdoor fruit markets of Rome, here's how he ties it in.
Although I am never worried about getting shot at like Don Corleone did when he was picking out some oranges in the movie, I am however always on the lookout for the old ladies and those hand trolleys. Then again, if I keep on writing the truth about Berlusconi, some of his friends from Cosa Nostra in Sicily may make a trip up north and look me up.

Because I like to focus more on The Godfather than either the blood oranges or Berlusconi, I leave you with this. Check out the acting brilliance of the late great John Cazale.

3 comments:

  1. interesting.. ive never heard of a blood orange..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you can get blood oranges in America, at least in the strange island off the coast of America knwn as Manhattan.
    Mike, I have been trying to deduce what part of Italy you lived in, now I know it is Rome, a place I have never been.
    I have been to the north and Perugia and I visited Sardinia back in 1986.
    I plan to revisit Perugia in the next year, I have a very close friend in New York who grew up in Perugia and worked in the chocolate factory. He still has his family home which is an ancient apartment in the Etruscan wall of the city.

    I find it very pathologically interesting that the people who attack me on my blog invariably call me a traitor bewcause I do not live in the United States.
    I also find it interesting in a pathologically psychological way that most of the attacks come from people who have never left the United Dtates and do not hold a passport.

    Sometimes, I feel America is too big of an entity to have a soul.
    The idea of America is too abstract to be real. I became attached and tuned in to any where I lived in America...Michigan, Ohio and New York...each of these places had a soul, a regional history you could identify with....

    Perhaps that is why America will never have a successful social movement...there is no connection between the parts, each region feels jealous, competitive and frankly, animosity with the other.

    It's like families here in the country. Left to their own, they will engage in inter familial wars and destroy each other over a few centimeters of land in a heritage struggle, but if an outsider comes into their little world, they can easily all band together in common hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting comment on America not having a soul. In some ways you describe Italy when you talk about the lack of a national identity. One can argue that the national identity in USA is just the flag and a yellow support your troops bumper sticker. When people like myself try to discuss ideas like a national standard for time off for employees or reducing the size of the defense budget, we are labeled as on the fringes of the political spectrum and too radical. the mass media and the corporate owners of American society encourage that kind of thinking....

    ReplyDelete