Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bow-OWwwwwww!

I have to give democommie the credit for finding this story, but I'm the one who thought it deserved being published here.  If ever there was a story which speaks for itself, this is it.

From Yahoo.com:


The Sideshow

Man is accidentally shot by his own dog


By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 18 hrs ago

Duck Hunt gone awry
Dogs are man's best friend. Except, you know, when they're shooting a gun at you. And strangely enough, that's what really happened to a hapless dog owner in Brigham City, Utah. The man in question--a 46-year-old hunting enthusiast who is not named in local news reports on the incident--got a behind-full of birdshot courtesy of his loyal canine companion when he was out duck hunting over the weekend.
KSL.com reports the man and his dog were traveling in a canoe-like boat when the man stepped out into a shallow marsh to set up some decoys. His left his 12-gauge shotgun resting across the bow of the boat, according to Box Elder County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Potter.
That's when the dog "did something to make the gun discharge," Potter said. "I don't know if the safety device was on. It's not impossible the dog could have taken it off safety."
Apparently excited to join his owner in the marsh, the dog jumped up on the boat's bow and stepped on the gun. The gun was fired, hitting the man in the buttocks with 27 pellets of birdshot.
The man promptly called 9-1-1, and is now reportedly recovering. Potter said that thanks to a well-positioned pair of waders--the hip-length rubber boots he was wearing at the time--the dog owner was able to avoid a more serious gunshot wound.

7 comments:

  1. Aw, shecks, you musta found that about the same time I did.

    I wonder if the guy had been killed would they have had to euthanize the pooch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the reason that I don't leave a shell in the chamber in my twelve gauge. The safety button is just that, and the trigger is light enough for an animal to activate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked the Ithaca 16 Ga. that's been sitting in my house for the last month or so (no shells in the house or on the property) while it's awaiting a buyer.

    Pushing the safety and pulling the trigger is not as easy as just pulling the trigger. Of course we all know that NO LGO would ever treat a gun as if it wasn't loaded and leave the safety off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny story. I think that dog should get the one-strike-you're-out punishment. The owner too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mikeb302000,

    Your vindictiveness isn't becoming. I don't know if you've already answered this question, so I'll ask it again: If I have a car wreck, do I lose my license to drive from that moment on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "vindictiveness" sounds a bit strong to describe me.

    No, I don't believe in a one-strike you're out for car accidents only for guns.

    If you ask me why, I'll simply refer you to the archives of this blog. I answer that question every day.

    ReplyDelete