Saturday, August 3, 2013

O.J. Simpson - Parole Board Action - But Not Enough

The Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners order says the decision relates to two kidnapping and two robbery convictions and one conviction for burglary with a firearm. But Simpson, 66, will continue to be held for related convictions for which he is not yet eligible for parole.
The case stems from a confrontation Simpson had with two sports memorabilia collectors at a Las Vegas hotel room in 2007. Simpson, a former superstar in the National Football League, said he was attempting to retrieve his own memorabilia.
Three co-defendants pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against Simpson, who was convicted and sentenced to 33 years in prison, with the possibility of parole in nine years.
Simpson still faces time for four weapons related sentences and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon. Simpson, who is serving his time at Lovelock Correctional Center 90 miles from Reno, faces at least four more years in prison on those sentences.
Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife, Nicole, and Ronald Goldman on June 12, 1994.  In the so-called trial of the century an all black jury, save one, acquitted him despite a mountain of evidence.  It was widely considered jury nullification.

Austin Detective Charles Kleinert Shot and Killed Suspect but It Was Only an Accident

The Statesman

An Austin police officer who fatally shot a man after a short pursuit last week told internal affairs investigators during a lengthy interrogation Thursday that he unintentionally fired his gun, the American-Statesman has learned. 

Detective Charles Kleinert told investigators that he had drawn his weapon as part of his effort to subdue Larry Eugene Jackson Jr. and that during a struggle between the two, Kleinert lost his balance, fell over and that a single round accidentally went off, several sources confirmed. Jackson, 32, was shot once in the back of the neck.

They love to conclude that "it was an accident," or that "there was no foul play." This is the way they minimize the human error part of the incident. This is the way they excuse the negligent actions of the shooter.

No accidental shooting happens without the violation of at least two of the 4 Rules of Gun Safety. It's impossible.

Gun owners, and yes even cops, should be held responsible for their negligent actions.

What's your opinion?  Please leave a comment.

Bad News for Gun Rights - Hillary's Coming

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Maine Man Arrested for Terrorizing People with a Toy Gun



Local news reports

A man who walked around the downtown with a toy gun that appeared real was charged with terrorizing Thursday night.
John Cushman, 20, "made lots of people nervous" when he strolled through town with a toy gun tucked into his shorts, said Deputy Chief Shane Cote of the Farmington Police Department.
An employee at the Homestead Bakery on Broadway called police at about 9:50 p.m. and then called employees at The Roost pub to warn them that a man was wandering around with a gun. 
The Roost employees locked the doors with patrons still inside, Cote said, and as police searched for the man, the employees asked for a police officer to stand near the door because some patrons wanted to leave.
Farmington officer William Tanner arrived at The Roost and saw Cushman showing the gun to someone outside. It looked real, Cote said, until he saw the orange ring that toy guns are required to have. The ring was not visible when the gun was tucked into Cushman's shorts, Cote said.
He said Cushman was charged with terrorizing because his actions scared people and caused them to secure themselves in a building.
Cushman was taken to Franklin Memorial Hospital and released without a mental health evaluation. He was then taken to the Franklin County Detention Center, Cote said.

NRA Targets Gun sale Restrictions for 18 to 21-Year-olds

The National Rifle Association (NRA) has filed a petition to the US Supreme Court, asking it to allow licensed gun dealers to sell handguns to youths between the ages of 18 and 21.
The appeal filed by the NRA and two 19-year olds is a fresh attempt to overturn a 1968 law which bars federally licensed dealers from selling handguns and handgun ammunition to people between ages 18 and 21.

The law was challenged in court last year, where it was unanimously upheld by a three-judge panel for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

“This categorical burden on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms passes constitutional muster because law-abiding young adults likely do not possess Second Amendment rights at all,” the petition reads.

The current legislation does, however, leave quite a number of options for people older than 18 and younger than 21 to obtain weapons, as they are still allowed to purchase shotguns and rifles from licensed dealers. As for handguns, they can get a hold of them as well, provided they receive them as gifts or purchase them from private owners. 

Friday, August 2, 2013

TTAG Reader Survey

sex
Of those 1,776 readers, the vast and overwhelming majority were men. The female readers (about 2%) cited the sexism that seems to be pervasive in certain members of the editorial staff’s posts as a reason why more women wouldn’t read the blog. Which explains the conspicuous lack of supermodel references recently.

This, of course, is total bullshit.  The soft porn that Robert used to push on his site was not nearly pervasive or offensive enough to be responsible for the lack of female readers.  The fact that the blog is about guns is.

The attempts on the part of gun-rights fanatics to claim women are making up a more and more significant part of their world are superficially and obviously false.  Here's the proof from the number one most successful and most read gun blog out there.

What's your opinion?  Please leave a comment.

'Crime Guns' From South on the Rise in New York City

The stream of illegal guns from southern states being used in crimes in New York City has increased, despite efforts to stem the flow, officials said on Wednesday.
In 2011, 90% of the 2,433 traceable guns used in crimes came from out of state—a jump from 2010, when 86% of the 2,319 guns used in crimes originated outside of New York, according to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives data cited by Mayor Michael Bloomberg.