Friday, June 19, 2015

Jon Stewart on the South Carolina Shooting


You guys love to talk about responsibility, right? Well, aside from that jerk-off who did the deed, I blame all of you who favor such weak or non-existent gun laws that a guy as dangerous as he is could get guns as easily as he did.

Shame on you.

Connecticut Dad Gets Special Probation for Shooting his 11-Year-old Son in the Face

Vincent Pizzolato, of Monroe, accused of accidentally shooting his 11-year-old son in the face while he was securing his wife's gun, was granted a special form of probation Thursday, June 18, 2015. Photo: Brian A. Pounds / File Photo / Connecticut Post
Vincent Pizzolato

 Local news

A Monroe father, accused of accidentally shooting his 11-year-old son in the face while securing his wife’s gun, was granted a special form of probation Thursday.
 
While Superior Court Judge Earl Richards said he considered the incident to be serious, he was gratified the boy suffered no permanent injuries and said he was convinced the father, Vincent Pizzolato, would not commit criminal acts in the future. Richards granted the 44-year-old Pizzolato accelerated rehabilitation.

Under accelerated rehabilitation, Pizzolato, who was charged with second-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and unlawful discharge of a firearm for the March 8 incident, did not plead guilty to the crime but was placed on two years’ probation. If he commits no crimes during that probation, the charges against him will be dismissed.

Police said Pizzolato and his wife had earlier returned home from target practice at the Bridgeport Shooting range. Pizzolato had taken both guns into the basement and, after putting his own gun into a safe, he began securing his wife’s Ruger 9mm semi-automatic handgun. At the time, their son was in the adjoining basement TV room playing video games.

Police said Pizzolato told them he had his wife’s gun pointed at the wall separating the two rooms as he checked the chamber and magazine, both which appeared empty. He pulled the trigger and the gun fired, the bullet piercing a plastic rifle case and the sheetrock wall before hitting his son.

The South Carolina Shooter - Dylann Roof


Dylann Roof

The Guardian

Roof is from the town of Eastover, around 150 km north-west of Charleston. According to the state law enforcement division, he was arrested on 1 March 2015 for drug possession and again on 26 April on a trespassing charge.

Roof's uncle told Reuters he recognised his nephew from the CCTV image (above) and that he had received a gun for his 21st birthday in April. A photograph from Roof's Facebook page shows him wearing a jacket with the historical flags of apartheid-era South Africa and Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) on it.


Dylann Roof was stopped in his car and arrested, following a tip-off, on Thursday 18 June in the city of Shelby, North Carolina around 400 km north-west of Charleston.

During the manhunt police described him as "highly dangerous" and said they had "no doubt" the shooting was a hate crime.
 

Remove the Confederate Flag


I'm Karen Hunter, a fellow MoveOn member, and I started a petition to the South Carolina Legislature and Governor Nikki Haley.

On the heels of the brutal killing of nine black people in a South Carolina church, it's time to put a symbol of rebellion and racism behind us and move toward healing and a better United States of America.1

Can you join me in telling South Carolina lawmakers:

Symbols of hate and division have no place in our government. It's time to stand up for what's right and take down the Confederate flag!

The Confederate flag is not a symbol of southern pride but rather a symbol of rebellion and racism.

Tell South Carolina lawmakers: Symbols of hate have no place in our government.


Thanks!

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pfleger: Ban High Capacity Magazines - Title Guns like Cars - Blame the Gun Manufacturers

Pfleger
Fr. Michael Pfleger

Fox

A face-to-face showdown between one of Chicago's most outspoken anti-gun lobbyists and the Illinois State Rifle Association took place Thursday night.

A little more than a week ago, Father Pfleger called out the NRA saying the gun group had blood on its hands because of the violence in Chicago and elsewhere.

So, dozens of NRA members and other gun rights supporters turned out to hear what Father Pleger had to say, and they were not pleased.

“We should ban assault weapons in America. We should ban high capacity magazines in America. We should title guns like cars in America,” said Father Pfleger of St. Sabina Church.

Father Pfleger was fired up as he called for more restrictive gun laws as one way to help quell the violence that has become an epidemic in Chicago. He also called out the NRA and the Gun Lobby for blocking tougher laws that Pfleger says shows those groups are more interested in profits than in making the streets safer.

“And when the gun manufacturers make less money, the gun lobbyists get paid less money. So that's why they don't want responsibility. That's why they don't want to stop easy access. Because it's a business and nobody wants to touch the money. Well, the hell with the money. Life is more important than money,” Father Pfleger said.

Carol Bowne - The Latest Poster Girl - May She Rest in Peace

bowne Michael Eitel
At left, Carol Bowne, 39, who was fatally stabbed outside her Berlin home late Wednesday. Right, Michael Eitel, 45, an ex-boyfriend of Bowne's, is sought in connection with the incident.

NJ dot com

Thirty days. Or is it two to three months?

Berlin Township police Chief Leonard Check said at his department, it's the latter when it comes to approving firearms permits and involves multiple organizations coordinating to give the green light.

Scott Bach, the executive director of the Sussex County-headquartered Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, couldn't stress the former time frame enough.

"Permitting authorities are notorious for violating state-mandated time frames," said Bach, citing state criminal code that requires an application be granted within 30 days.

Either way, when Carol Bowne was fatally stabbed by an ex-boyfriend late Wednesday night just outside her Berlin home, she had been waiting since mid April.

Although the 39-year-old longtime hair stylist had filed a restraining order against suspect Michael Eitel, 45, the man allegedly attacked her shortly after 10 p.m. upon Bowne's arrival at her Patton Avenue home.

The Camden County Prosecutor's Office, who is aiding in the search for the suspect who remains at large, did not plan to release additional information pertaining to the case on Friday.

According to reports, Bowne submitted her application for a gun license on April 21 and went to see where the process stood two days before her death. Reports also indicate the police department had not yet received the results of her fingerprinting.

"This woman's life was tragically taken because of New Jersey gun laws," said Bach.