Friday, June 19, 2009

Cat-Killer Today, People-Killer Tomorrow

The Miami Herald reports on the fascinating story of the Miami cat killer.

Tyler Weinman, the teen accused of mutilating and killing 19 cats across South Miami-Dade, was released from jail Wednesday to await a trial as friends and family continued to proclaim his innocence.

Weinman had been jailed pending a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation. After reviewing a doctor's findings that Weinman posed no ''risk of harming himself or others,'' Miami-Dade Circuit Judge John Thornton allowed him released on $249,500 bond.

Weinman, 18, faces arraignment July 6. He is charged with 19 counts of felony animal cruelty, 19 counts of improperly disposing of an animal body and four counts of burglary.


The evidence against him which led to the arrest has not been released. The police referred to confidential sources. And naturally the defense attorney and the family are proclaiming his innocence. We always take that with a grain salt, but then there's this.

Weinman also acknowledged he was driving with a suspended license, the report said. He was charged with marijuana possession and driving with a suspended license, and signed a notice promising to appear in court.

After that, the cat killings stopped in Cutler Bay, where Weinman's mother lives. But several more cats were killed in Palmetto Bay, where his father lives.


So, he's a rich kid, smokes dope, drives without a license, but does he break into houses and kill cats? Could there be more than one disturbed teenager in Miami doing this? Does this kind of animal cruelty really lead to serial killing of humans? Or is that a myth like marijuana leads to heroin?

What's your opinion?

3 comments:

  1. Mike, as I understand it, most serial killers start with small animals. That being said, I do not know if killing animals leads to killing people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would guess that actually killing or torturing animals as a kid is a very bad sign. I remember some instances of minor cruelty to animals, but nothing beyond childish mischief. I'll bet that any teenager who does this systematic killing of pets is headed for serious problems as an adult.

    But I'm wondering if Tyler is the right kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike we all wear masks. I know people I absolutely detest, yet they think I like them. While I intensely dislike them, I am always nice and polite. It is an act, and the fact is this kid might be acting. I am not saying he is guilty, frankly I they got the right person. I hate to see where people are cruel and kill cats for no reason. I am a cat person anyway.

    ReplyDelete