Sunday, August 29, 2010

Road Rage in Los Angeles - 1 Dead

CNN reports on the latest road rage killing. It's the same old story, really, but the reporter who wrote it up made this interesting observation.

Emergency crews transported him to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His wife and children were not injured, police said.

Does that sound right to you? Maybe they weren't shot, but "not injured?" I don't think so.

This illustrates an interesting aspect of the gun violence debate. The statistics, which in my opinion are usually to be taken with a grain of salt anyway, are only a part of the picture. The damage goes far beyond one guy killed, in this case, for instance. The damage is literally incalculable.

For this reason something must be done about the gun availability. The way it is now, a too high percentage of people have guns, many of whom cannot responsibly handle them. Gun rights folks keep talking like the guns in criminal hands don't count, they never tire of lamenting that criminals don't obey laws. But, the point is those guns, like all of them, start out legally owned. Laws aimed at lawful gun owners are exactly what we need.

In spite of the other common lament, that there are 20,000 laws already on the books, we've never really had effective gun control, as Laci always says.

What's your opinion? Please leave a comment.

13 comments:

  1. MikeB: “The damage goes far beyond one guy killed, in this case, for instance. The damage is literally incalculable.”

    And the value of a life saved with a gun is also immeasurable. Think of the children who get to keep their parent, MikeB.

    MikeB : “In spite of the other common lament, that there are 20,000 laws already on the books, we've never really had effective gun control, as Laci always says.”

    Kind of shoots that whole “we only want reasonable regulation” common lament if you are also saying we haven’t even STARTED the gun control that you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not even China has effective gun control.

    It's better to search for the Holy Grail. At least there is a possibility it exists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. California has gun control. No way this could happen there.

    If only I registered all of my guns in Ohio, this wouldn't have happened to that poor family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TS: "And the value of a life saved with a gun is also immeasurable."

    So, which immeasurable quantity adds up to more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which is more, infinity or infinity?

    Which is better, chocolate or vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
  6. MikeB: “So, which immeasurable quantity adds up to more?”

    Doesn’t matter. I guess in your mind it comes down to which children you like better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way it is now, a too high percentage of people have guns.

    What's "acceptable"? At what point will you and your bigoted ilk say "OK, that's enough" and stop pushing for more gun control?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, it's not like this.

    "Which is more, infinity or infinity?

    Which is better, chocolate or vanilla?"


    It's a finite number of DGUs compared to a finite number of incidents of gun violence. It's not chocolate or vanilla. It's hard numbers and there's no doubt which side wins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps you missed it, MikeB. You asked:
    "So, which immeasurable quantity adds up to more?"

    An immeasurable quantity is not the same as a finite number.

    Which is more in the comparison of your incalculable damage to TS's immeasurable value of a life saved. That's what you asked.

    There is no answer. But now you've changed the question, because I pointed out that the question has no answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Anon. I was being sarcastic to TS when I asked the question, "So, which immeasurable quantity adds up to more?"

    Did you really think I didn't know that immeasurable is immeasurable and that I needed you to straighten me out?

    Get a grip, man. TS and I were both talking about the incalculable value of a human life and the effect one murder has on family and friends. When he said the same goes for the lives saved, I turned on the sarcasm. But you missed it. You thought you caught me at something. Did you really think that I was comparing one infinite thing to another?

    Guns cause more harm than they prevent. That's my whole point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Did you really think I didn't know that immeasurable is immeasurable and that I needed you to straighten me out?"

    Sometimes, I'm not so sure what you know. As RuffRidr has pointed out many times now, your sense of humor and sarcasm doesn't translate well into the written medium.

    "TS and I were both talking about the incalculable value of a human life and the effect one murder has on family and friends."

    I figured that part out, thanks.

    "Did you really think that I was comparing one infinite thing to another?"

    Yes, because you asked which is more, hence, a comparison. That's usually how comparisons are made.

    "Guns cause more harm than they prevent. That's my whole point."

    Really? And yet the evidence of that eludes you? Because you have yet to present any.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's Raod Rage??? I am only familiar with Road Rage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prince, I hadn't noticed that. You should have sent me the link I sent to Weer'd one time of Samuel L. Jackson screaming, "English, mother fucker, do you speak it?"

    ReplyDelete