Monday, March 28, 2011

The Stolen Valor Act - Overturned


A man’s lie about being awarded the Medal of Honor is protected by the 1st Amendment, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals concludes.

Xavier Alvarez


Nothing in this decision undermines laws against fraud. Misrepresentation for financial gain is not protected speech any more than a deceptive advertisement is. But when the purpose of a lie is ego gratification, the proper response is scorn, not a jail sentence.
What's your opinion, agree or disagree?

Please leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. In that case... I have a PhD, an MD (Gynecology), and a Nobel Peace Prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. willis:

    That's fine, as long as you're not putting that information on a loan or job app or some other document where it's gonna be fraudulent to do so.

    I know lots of folks who lie about their credentials or life experience; it's always fun to see them caught out.

    I was watching some basketball yesterday (at the bar, at home I only watch what I can get from Netflix) and some commercial for "Survivor" was talking about one of the guys in an upcoming episode being a "former federal officer". I worked for the U.S. census, as a quality control person, for about 100 hours last year. I'm a "former federal officer.".

    ReplyDelete
  3. So all you have to do is offer him some money contingent on the story being true.

    Either he fesses up to lying, or DOES break the law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who tries to get attention by acting deceitfully, as this man does, deserves the deepest criticism and disparagment that we can express. There is a very real respect and recognition that we owe to those who have acted with honor and courage and integrity on behalf of others.

    This man is the opposite of that in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, I think he could just be one of those silly braggarts who make up shit and after saying it enough begin to believe it themselves. I'm met people like that. I ignore them.

    ReplyDelete