Friday, November 16, 2012

Accidental Shooting Death - San Antonio Man Gets the Book Thrown at Him

 Local news reports

A San Antonian who told police he accidentally shot a fellow gang member in the head while playing with a gun as they celebrated a friend's release from juvenile detention agreed Thursday to a 25-year prison sentence.


Michael Juarez, 31, pleaded no contest to manslaughter in the March 2010 slaying of Johnny Trevino Jr., 17, at a home near Jefferson High School. 


Juarez initially was arrested on a charge of manslaughter, but a year later police enhanced the count to felony murder — a designation in which intent to kill is not necessary.

A person can be charged with the offense if a death is caused in the course of committing a felony — in this case, felon in possession of a firearm.


That's a helluva sentence for an unintentional shooting. Often we see lawful gun owners who do something like this receive a slap on the wrist with a warning to be more careful.  Does it seem right that a disqualified person should receive so much more?

Sentencing disparity is one of the big problems facing gun control advocates. The whole thing needs to be regularized.

What's your opinion?  Please leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. Any fucking cocksucker who is foolish enough to "play" with a gun can be held fully accountable under the law. That is not an accident. An accident is when you drop a weapon or when it goes off while you are cleaning it, etc.

    No accident. No mercy.

    You're going soft Mike. At the very least, we can hang on to laws against murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am going soft. I just don't like the wide disparity in sentencing, especially when they shrug their shoulders and say it was just an accident.

      Delete
    2. This is my uncle. I'd appreciate if you people didn't talk badly about a person who you know absolutely nothing about. This was a harsh sentencing ,in my opinion, now I can't see my uncle until I'm in my late 20's/ early 30's. This was obviously not a smart thing to do and he knows that. And by the way they changed it from "murder" to "manslaughter". My uncle is an innocent man and I love and miss him more than anything in this word. I love you Tio.

      Delete
    3. If you read my post I think you'll agree I'm on your side.

      Delete
    4. I read it. I know you agree and I thank you for it. That reply was for "Flying Junior"

      Delete
  2. Of course, since this guy is a spanish gang-banger, of course he gets the book thrown at him. If he was some cracker from upstate GA, he would be still sitting on his porch and deciding if the first run was clear enough to sell.

    ReplyDelete