Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Illinois Man Gets 2 Years for Accidentally Killing his Friend

Local news reports

In an emotional speech Monday morning before beginning a two-year prison sentence, Maxwell Cannon apologized to the family of the friend he shot and killed.

After taking a minute to compose himself, Cannon, 23, turned away from the bench and faced the family of 19-year-old Anthony Kloeckner.

"I will never be able to forgive myself for the pain I have caused you," he said. "A son, a brother, a friend like no other ... I see his face and I hear his thoughts."

On Dec. 28, 2011, Cannon was showing off a handgun to several friends at a home on Woodlawn Park Avenue near McHenry, according to McHenry County Sheriff’s police.

Police have said that Cannon removed the magazine and, thinking the gun was empty, pointed it at Kloeckner and pulled the trigger. Kloeckner was shot once in the chest.

Cannon said he is disgusted and mortified by his own actions.

1 comment:

  1. Did you neglect to call him a lawful gun owner because you know how much gun control Illinois has? I suspect that in your heart of hearts, you know that gun control isn't about making people safe.

    ReplyDelete