Saturday, January 30, 2010

High-Tech Weapons

Wired has published a series of photographs of the latest products introduced at the SHOT show in Las Vegas last week. I was enjoying the innovative guns and rifles very much until I got to this little gem. When I read its description, specifically what the serrated edge is for, I remembered what we're dealing in here. We're dealing in tools of death. Anyone who is fascinated by these products, I would say has mental problems. These are tools for killing other human beings, and anyone who is fascinated with that is sick.





"A sales representative told us that the serrations on the inner edge are designed for beheading people."

How cool is that, I ask ya?

6 comments:

  1. "A sales representative told us that the serrations on the inner edge are designed for beheading people."

    What a hoot.

    Yes, everybody knows you can't behead someone unless you buy one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, actually a hack saw or even better, garden loppers would probably work better than that little knife, for your beheading needs. I think though that it looks like an ordinary hunting knife.

    As an aside, when I saw the title was "high tech" weapons, I was thinking like death rays or disintegration guns or something. So disappointing! {/snark}

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hoot.

    Yes, everybody knows you can't behead someone unless you buy one of these!


    I'm torn. What's more amusing--the sales rep's ridiculous marketing hype, or Mikeb's horrified, panty-wetting reaction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zorro, "horrified, panty-wetting reaction" seems a bit of an exaggeration to describe what I said.

    Why would someone of your apparent writing skills have to resort to hyperbole? Aren't your arguments enough without beefing them up with hype and sarcasm?

    My point, in case you really did miss it, was that the pervasive gun culture has us inured to the reality of what we're actually talking about. We're talking about tools designed to kill. And planning on killing and preparing to kill and thinking about it continually is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A World Quite Mad reminded me of one of my favorite Jack Bauer lines. "I'm gonna need a hacksaw." That was Episode 1, Season 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stand by what I said, Mikeb, although I kinda figured you'd realize that "panty-wetting" wasn't meant literally.

    I think "horrified," though, describes your reaction pretty well, and I find it amusing that someone could be horrified by talk of a fighting knife being used for . . . fighting.

    ReplyDelete