Monday, September 15, 2014

Thou shalt have no other gods before me...


Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exodus 20: 3-
6.
 

And if you really want a laugh:

 

Yes, I do believe in the "golden rule (or rule of reciprocity), but the NRA is about the most diametrically opposed organisation to the Golden Rule I can think of.  They are the last organisation to try and use the "golden rule" for any purpose.

If you would rather be judges by 12 than carried by six, then you should allow criminals to have their legal right to a trial--not allow for summary execution and vigilante justice.

BTW, the picture above is of a piece by an artist named Al Farrow.  I'm not sure what his take is on this.  The work is called "Fingernail of the Trigger Finger of Santo Guerro".  The picture ended up on a gun loon page as a mash up between Christianity and guns.  Maybe that's Mr. Fallow's point.

4 comments:

  1. Strawberries and elephants.

    orlin sellers

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you would rather be judges by 12 than carried by six, then you should allow criminals to have their legal right to a trial--not allow for summary execution and vigilante justice."

    Laci, you don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop. Just like the police do. I'm perfectly fine with a criminal threatening me or mine with either surrendering or even leaving with great haste and let the police chase him.
    People defending themselves are reacting to threats initiated by someone else. They do have the right to a trial, but that doesn't minimize my right to protect myself.

    I did find a statement from Mr. Farrow that might enlighten,


    "American sculptor Al Farrow creates models of churches, temples and mosques from bullets and gun parts highlighting the disquieting relationship between war and religion. In the words of the artist:"

    "I am perpetually surprised by the historical and continuing partnership of war and religion. The atrocities committed in acts of war absolutely violate every tenet of religion, yet rarely do religious institutions speak against the violations committed in the name of God. Historically, Popes have even offered eternal salvation to those who fought on their behalf (The crusades, etc.).
    In my constructed reliquaries, I am playfully employing symbols of war, religion and death in a facade of architectural beauty and harmony. I have allowed my interests in art history, archeology and anthropology to influence the work. The sculptures are an ironic play on the medieval cult of the relic, tomb art, and the seductive nature of objects commissioned and historically employed by those seeking position of power."


    http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/05/al-farrow-makes-religious-sculptures.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. would it be legal for an art gallery in New York City to display this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know all the details of NY law, much less NYC laws and regs, but I have read some pieces about all of the hoops you have to jump through to use prop guns in a play or a photoshoot in NYC. My guess is that you could show that these were disabled in the course of putting this piece together, and that you would need to do so, and jump through some hoops to get all the permissions in order, but could then display it.

      Delete