Sunday, February 3, 2013

6-Year-Old South Carolina Girl Expelled for a Toy Gun Allowed Back in School

Raw Story reports

A 6-year-old South Carolina girl will be allowed back in school after being expelled early in January for bringing a toy gun for “show and tell,” school officials said Thursday.

Naomi McKinney was expelled from Alice Drive Elementary in Sumter, S.C. on Jan. 7. “I chose to bring it to school because I thought I could show my friends it because they might like seeing it,” she told a reporter.

Her father Hank objected to the decision as well, saying that pencils are more dangerous than the clear, plastic water gun Naomi brought to school. “I know there is a lot going on with guns and schools and that is tragic, but a six year old bringing a toy to school doesn’t know better,” he said.

Naomi’s initial expulsion banned her from school grounds for the rest of the school year, but the county’s schools superintendent said Thursday that he would overrule the decision he had previously affirmed.

3 comments:

  1. What a wimpy culture we have adopted that becomes terrified any time anyone makes mention of a gun in any form. Turn off Oprah and toughen up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kid brought a knife to school in 1992 when in kindergarten. It was a knife-fork-spoon camping set, and she thought it was neat. They just took it from her, and I got it at the office. That seems like the appropriate response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... especially given the child's age.

      Delete