Monday, June 9, 2014

Profile of a Lawful Gun Owner - Aaron Ybarra

Shooting suspect Aaron Ybarra is led to a court hearing at a King County Jail courtroom Friday, June 6, 2014, in Seattle. Ybarra was arrested in the killing of a 19-year-old student and wounding of two other young people Thursday at Seattle Pacific University. Police say Jon Meis and other students subdued Ybarra until officers arrived and handcuffed him moments later. Meis, the 22-year-old building monitor, pepper-sprayed and tackled the gunman Thursday in Seattle Pacific University's Otto Miller Hall, likely preventing further carnage, according to police. 

Yahoo News

 In 2010, Aaron Ybarra called 911 to report "a rage inside him" and said he wanted to hurt himself and others, according to a police report of the incident.

Two years later, officers responded again — this time finding him lying in the middle of the street in front of his suburban Mountlake Terrace home, ranting drunkenly for a SWAT team "to get him and make him famous."
The rage and thirst for notoriety may have got the better of him Thursday, when police say he stormed into a sciences and engineering building on the leafy campus of Seattle Pacific University, armed with a shotgun and more than 50 shells.
He fatally shot a 19-year-old freshman and wounded two other young people before his plan to kill as many people as possible — and himself — was thwarted by a student building monitor who pepper-sprayed and tackled him as he reloaded, officials said.
A King County Superior Court judge ordered Ybarra, 26, held without bail Friday. His attorney, public defender Ramona Brandes, said he was on suicide watch at the jail.
In both of the earlier contacts with police, officers committed Ybarra involuntarily to Swedish Hospital in Edmonds for mental evaluations. Brandes said he has a long history of mental health problems for which he had been treated and medicated.
At the time of the 2010 commitment, Ybarra worked at the Kenmore Shooting Range north of Seattle. From 2003 to about three and a half years ago, he worked as a 'trapper' keeping score on practice shoots, according to range president John Conderman, who said he did not know Ybarra personally but recognized his picture in news accounts.
"This is so disappointing," Conderman said. "We spend all of our energy trying to teach young people about responsible gun use."


  1. "In both of the earlier contacts with police, officers committed Ybarra involuntarily to Swedish Hospital in Edmonds for mental evaluations."

    4.Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

    "After having previously been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment under RCW 71.05.240, 71.05.320, 71.34.740, 71.34.750, chapter 10.77 RCW, or equivalent statutes of another jurisdiction, unless his or her right to possess a firearm has been restored as provided in RCW 9.41.047;"

    If we go by the article, he should have been considered a prohibited person on both a federal and state level making him NOT a lawful gun owner. However, it is possible that the article isn't accurate. For example, he might have been temporarily detained for an evaluation and not adjudicated.
    Here is something else I found,

    "But there's a rub. Public records don't indicate how long Ybarra was committed, whether for 14 minutes, 14 hours or whether he agreed to stay for 14 days. Privacy laws won't allow Swedish Hospital officials to say. But the number 14 is crucial. Under Washington state law, Ybarra needed to be involuntarily committed for at least 14 days before a petition could be filed in court to strip him of his right to possess firearms. There's no indication any such petition was filed."

    1. I'd call him a lawful gun owner, subset: hidden criminal.