Thursday, September 1, 2011

Obama Talking at the American Legion

In Minneapolis today, President Barack Obama gave the first in a series of speeches marking the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The president spoke before a crowd of 6,000 veterans at the American Legion's national convention.

In his remarks, Obama called for Americans to honor the solemn anniversary by performing national service, and repeatedly praised the nobility of the 5 million Americans who have served in the U.S. military since 9/11. He called these soldiers and their families members of the "9/11 generation." Obama also expressed humble gratitude for the sacrifice of more than 6,200 American servicemen and women who have been killed in conflict since 9/11.
Isn't anyone else bothered by the failure to admit the invasion of Iraq, orchestrated by the Bush / Cheney administration, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 was a big lie? I certainly am.  I'm offended by that.  Where's the outrage, we asked just yesterday.

The Afghanistan operation was a ten-year-long hunt for Bin Laden, if I'm not mistaken.  Unlike attacking Iraq, at least this one made some sense, presuming Bin Laden was the author of the World Trade Center attack and really was hiding out with his Taliban buddies in Afghanistan.  But, what's happened since his dramatic death? Have we pulled out?  Has word one been mentioned about pulling out?  I haven't heard it.

My cynicism extends to the other major operations, Libya and Yemen, as well as the more hidden and secret ones.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not an extreme pacifist and I'm definitely not a Paulist, like I've recently been accused of. I applaud the heroic troops who usually remain unsung heroes, unlike what happened after the Osama's killing.

I can accept that some of the pre-emptive and covert missions are necessary and save lives. But I don't think that applies to the major wars we've been fighting or to most of the smaller ones.

I believe since the time of Viet Nam the government has been increasingly influenced by the Military Industrial Complex. The lobbying and contribution systems, which Obama promised he'd clean up, are what really run the country.

I'd like to see us less involved in policing the world. I'd like to see the military spending cut way down. I'd like to see fewer servicemen killed over the next ten years than the 6,200 Obama mentioned in his speech.

I wondered if that includes the suicides, but I suppose that's something for another post.

What's your opinion? Is casting a cynical eye on the American military involvement tantamount to NOT supporting the troops?  Wouldn't there be many active military members and recently discharged veterans who question these things like I do?

What do you think?  Please leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely, where is the outrage from the true supporters of the Second Amendment for this act of tyranny!

    § 1177. It was said, that congress, having an unlimited power to raise and support armies, might, if in their opinion the general welfare required it, keep large armies constantly on foot, and thus exhaust the resources of the United States. There is no control on congress, as to numbers, stations, or government of them. They may billet them on the people at pleasure. Such an unlimited authority is most dangerous, and in its principles despotic; for being unbounded, it must lead to despotism. We shall, therefore, live under a government of military force. In respect to times of peace, it was suggested, that there is no necessity for having a standing army, which had always been held, under such circumstances, to be fatal to the public rights and political freedom.--Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution 3: § 1177

    ReplyDelete