Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Glenn Beck and the Advertisers

Alternet.org reports on the latest.

Glenn Beck's Fox Show continues to hemorrhage corporate sponsors. Yesterday eight more companies, including retail giant Wall Mart, dropped sponsorship of Beck's program. That makes over 20 companies that have pulled their advertising from Beck's show in the past 2 weeks, after a Color of Change petition urged advertisers to cease sponsorship of Beck's program when the talk show host said Obama had a "deepseated hatred for white people".

I was a bit surprised that the repercussions were so great over that racist remark. I really don't find it much more offensive than the rest of his daily fare. What's your opinion?

Last week when this sponsor-dropping business just began, I said, "whenever one sponsor drops Beck's show another will fill the spot. I think as long as he's popular, reports like this about sponsors dropping him, will just make him more popular." But, now I'm wondering if the tide hasn't turned into a tidal wave. What do you think? Can Glenn Beck survive this?

Well, one thing for sure, he won't go down without a fight.

Rather than apologize or stop spewing divisive hate speech, Beck seems to be responding by tapping his vast, creepy army of "912" followers to wage a counterprotest.

They're compiling a petition of loyal supporters. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be quite big. But can it turn the tide, that's the question now?

My opinion is we should never underestimate the appetite of the extreme right for this kind of "entertainment." Keith Olbermann and Jon Stewart can certainly be sarcastic and cutting, but the words of Beck are often far beyond that. He sells hate and divisiveness.

What's your opinion? Please leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. this piece of shit media personality deserves no comment from the Grand Prince. The more time wasted on this non college educated idiot, the less time I have reading accredited academic scholars on issues related to political science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet the Grand Prince still found the time to comment. Oh the irony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch his show from time to time in hopes of seeing him die from a brain aneurysm.

    No luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good one Reputo,I also thought of the contradiction after I wrote the reply but it was early in the morning so I was not at my best. Next time I will wait until I have my morning coffee before writing anything.
    I have said my final thoughts on this asshole. I am glad I have never heard his voice or watched any of the video clips MikeB has posted.

    ReplyDelete