Wednesday, December 19, 2012

People are beginning to get fed up with the status quo.

Winthrop Eagles coach Pat Kelsey, seizing what he believed was a special opportunity, gave an impassioned address Tuesday in response to the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School killings.


"When I walked into the press conference, I had never been in a chair with a microphone in front of me with that many cameras," Kelsey said. "Something came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or what, but it struck me that I had a platform that very few people in the world have."

He expressed thankfulness for the ability to go home and kiss his daughters, ages 4 and 5, who are barely younger than the youngest Newtown victims. And just as he prodded his Panther teammates in 1992, he challenged national leaders to bring about any changes necessary to prevent future tragedies.

"Parents, teachers, rabbis, priests, coaches, everybody needs to step up. This has to be a time for change," Kelsey said. "And I know this microphone's powerful right now, because we're playing the fourth-best team in the country." 

Thank you for saying what you did, Coach Kelsey.  I wish your team the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment