Monday, January 19, 2009

More About the Beatles

I never liked them, not when I was growing up anyway. In the late 60s, when I had my musical awakening, the first groups I did like were the Stones, the Who and the Animals. Later I got into Black Sabbath. The Beatles always seemed too "goodie-goodie" or something.

About ten years ago, in my mid-40s, I started to notice something. Whenever I'd hear an old Beatles' tune, I'd have the most enjoyable nostalgic sensation. I guess I finally outgrew that childhood resistance to the "goodie-goodie" stuff. So, I bought some of their old albums for the first time in my life.

Amazingly, I was familiar with almost every song, actually familiar enough to sing along with the lyrics in the car, which I did plenty. I realized that the Beatles had always been there in the background of my life. It's as if my brain had been absorbing their music all those years. What a pleasure to discover.





2 comments:

  1. At least with the Beetles people could understand the words without an interpreter, unlike most of today's music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never liked them much when I was younger either. My music consisted of The Stones, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Ten Years After, The Who, Pink Floyd, and such as that. The Beatles were my brother's favorite, and the last thing I wanted was to be like him....he was a jock and I was a head. It wasn't til later, in my 30's, that I really started listening to The Beatles. And yeah, the words to the songs just came rolling outta my mouth, too.

    ReplyDelete