Monday, August 2, 2010

Texans Love Their Guns

AP carried a heartwarming story about a Texas man who was reunited with his beloved revolver.

TERRELL, Texas — A rural East Texas man has been reunited with his long-lost gun more than two decades after it was stolen. According to a Kaufman County Sheriff's Office statement, burglars took Bruce Garner's H&R nine-shot revolver from the Terrell man's home soon after he moved there in June 1989.

Although the thieves were never caught, deputies located the stolen firearm at a pawn shop. Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Pat Laney said Garner and his gun were reunited at an upbeat property hearing Thursday morning.

The 59-year-old leathersmith says "it's a hoot" to have his favorite dispatch gun back again. "I was astounded."

Garner said he never forgot about the gun he used back when he hunted and trapped to raise extra money.

Although I find it a bit sick to perpetuate the bizarre elevation of firearms to the level of the beloved, I guess that's what you have to expect in places like The Lone Star State. The gun is nearly sacred there.

My question, though, is, what is a "dispatch gun?" Is that what it sounds like? When you wound an animal with a long-distance shot from a rifle, you walk up to it with the trusty revolver to finish it off? Is that what a "dispatch gun" is? I'm just aguessin'.

What's your opinion? Let's use the car comparison for a moment, don't you think it's weird when someone is overly attached to their car, giving it a name, treating it as if it were a person?

Please leave a comment.

12 comments:

  1. Lets use the pet comparison for a moment, don't you think it's weird when someone is overly attached to their pet, giving it a name, treating it as a person?

    I guess naming of personal property isn't that unusual when the item is a constant, reliable, trustworthy companion.

    I must have missed what he named it. Making up "facts" again, are we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My question, though, is, what is a "dispatch gun?"

    That is a very small caliber firearm and the article said he was a hunter and trapper for money. I would say it was used when finding a fur bearing animal still alive in a trap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What's your opinion? Let's use the car comparison for a moment, don't you think it's weird when someone is overly attached to their car, giving it a name, treating it as if it were a person?"

    No.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One should always remember guns to the gunloon embody their own self-esteem. Guns are who they are and represent their hopes, dreams and fantasies. Thus, it should be unsurprising they give them names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've named two of my guns Hope and Change in honor of the man who wants to ban them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm naming one of my guns "Jadegold" so I can tell everyone I took Jadegold shooting. That'll be fun.

    Jadegold, any requests as to which gun should be named after you? I'm thinking of the WASR-10 that is excessively noisy, isn't very accurate, and jams often. Also it rattles when shook, like something is loose. It seems appropriate, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A more appropriate name might be "Anonymous".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there's a contradiction here. The pro gun crowd often ridicule the gun control folks for supposedly fearing inanimate objects. Yet these same guys treat their guns like "reliable friends."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or I could call it democommie, since it came from a commie nation. And, like most demos (demonstrations) it isn't meant to be run full time, just for show.

    Great now I can name my other AK clone. Thanks, dc!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, the more I think of it, dc, I decided that you were right. I should call one of my guns "Anonymous."

    I decided on my Remington 700 hunting rifle (that's a "sniper rifle" to you guys, because it has a scope!). It can reach out quite a distance, allowing me to remain anonymous, so to speak, but the best part is that I bought it through the "private seller loophole" in my state, so it sort of is anonymous.

    Appreciate the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually I don't think naming your guns is a sign of major psychosis, it's just weird. maybe a little sick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're just jealous I didn't name one after you.

    ReplyDelete