Tuesday, October 26, 2010

You, Too, Can Write Like Linoge (Part Uno)


Hardly a day goes by when I'm not approached on the street with a familiar request. "Hey, JadeGold, how can I write like Linoge?"

I'm often tempted to offer the flip reply: "Experience severe brain damage" or "Lots of drugs and alcohol in conjunction with traumatic head injury" or "Be home-schooled in an oppressive evangelical setting."

But I realize a sincere question merits a sincere answer. It's not something I can answer in a sentence or two; like Linoge's writing, brevity is antiethitical to a suitable response. However, having given this at least 45 seconds of thought, I think I've hit upon a response. I shall illustrate by example. To begin, we must concoct a scenario that would prompt Linoge to pen one of his screeds. I offer this scenario from PortConMaine. In Part Deux, we shall examine a typical Linoge response.

4 comments:

  1. …and “open, honest, rational conversation” goes right out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm often tempted to offer the flip reply: "Experience severe brain damage" or "Lots of drugs and alcohol in conjunction with traumatic head injury" or "Be home-schooled in an oppressive evangelical setting.""

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, he is a bit of a whack job: e.g., semantically-null.

    I'm not sure what that means in terms of natural language.

    ReplyDelete