Friday, June 3, 2011

Oh! Look! Another Arizona Mass Shooting!

Anyone surprised? No?

Anyone want to make a side bet this was also done with a legally purchased gun in AZ? No?

Anyone want to bet that this guy really believed he was in the right, that he was exercising his 2nd Amendment rights, and that his gun ownership and use was perfectly reasonable? No?

Investigators check a vehicle thought to be that of a man suspected of shooting five people Thursday in Yuma, Ariz. and the Wellton-Mohawk Valley. The man allegedly took his own life in the vehicle found in the desert approximately 13 miles northeast of Yuma.


A 73-year-old gunman apparently upset over a divorce case went on a shooting spree Thursday around Yuma county, Ariz., killing at least five people including himself and the attorney representing his ex-wife, officials said.
A sixth person was injured and flown to a Phoenix-area hospital.
Authorities identified the suspected shooter as Carey Hal Dyess of Yuma. Yuma County Sheriff's deputies found Dyess with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound near Blaisdell and Highway 95 around 11:35 a.m.
Earlier, the gunman shot attorney Jerrold Shelley in his downtown Yuma law office, said Jerry Geier, police chief of the city of 91,000 along the Colorado River near the Mexican border. Attorney Amanda Taylor said Shelley represented Dyess' ex-wife.
Yuma police spokesman Clint Norred told the Sun that the shootings were connected, but he would not confirm the identities of all the victims.
Four fatalities took place in the county.
Some of the victims were friends and relatives of the gunman, Mayor Alan Krieger told Reuters by telephone.
Details of the incident were sketchy, but Krieger and police said the shootings unfolded at six locations in and around the city.
Krieger said the gunman's motive was not entirely clear but that he was believed to be upset over a divorce case.
Court records show Dyess was involved in two civil court cases, one in Yuma and one in nearby Wellton. A judge issued an order of protection against Dyess in one of the cases in 2006, and a court clerk said it stemmed from Dyess' wife divorcing him.
The Yuma County Sheriff's Office was called to the first scene when the body of a woman was found in a yard at Avenue 35-1/2E and Old Highway 80, the Sun said.
Around 9:21 a.m., the Yuma Police Department responded to a shooting in the 300 block of 2nd Avenue in Yuma, which is where Shelley was killed.
Shootings were also were reported in the Wellton area.
The Yuma County Courthouse and schools in the area, including Roosevelt, Fourth Avenue Junior High and the Post building, were placed under a lockdown, which was later lifted.
"The situation has ended and now we’re sorting out the details," Krieger told the Sun. "My sympathies to the families with this loss of life."
The Sun said City Administrator Greg Wilkinson warned staff in an email that "certain people" were targeted.
Wellton Mayor James Deermer told the Sun "rumors are floating around." He called the shootings "a tragedy for our community ... that’s true anywhere."
Yuma Presiding Judge Andrew Gould issued a statement early Thursday afternoon: "We are thankful that those within the courthouse are safe but we are shocked and saddened at the violent acts that have occurred in our close-knit community."

9 comments:

  1. Again, if gramps had just pushed the gun all the way to the gag reflex and pulled the trigger first......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that he believed he was in the wrong, given that he took his own life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Dog Gone I posted a short one about this story before I saw this one.

    I should have known you're on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6 people is a mass shooting? That's stretching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What should be the minimum number for "mass shootings?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandfather was one of the ones killed in this shooting. So to make light of it all...these people who were killed innocently had families and loved ones. My grandfather was an innocent soul in all of this and paid with his life! Have some respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you those of us on the gun control side of this argument take this very seriously and have the utmost respect for you and the other family members.

      Gun availability is a plague on America. That's how serious I think it is.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with you.I believe that you should have to take a psych evaluation every 2-5yrs to be allowed to own a gun.I also believe this is true for people to be allowed to have children.It is still very hard to this day to sit here and relive it.I may live all the way on the other side of the country,but the pain is still raw.i never got to say good bye.I never got closure.And i never will.I have a hole in my heart thay will never heal.I will never get the closure I want because the coward took his own life rather than face it like a man.He is a selfish coward.It would have been different had my grandfather passed from a car accident,cancer,or something else that didnt leave u speechless hitting the floor with your knees.I had just spoken to him a wk before this had happened.I still find myself to this day...even being over a yr now...calling his cell phone just to hear his voicemail recording to hear his voice.I cannot bring myself to delete his number out of my speed dial.I break down almost every day because i hurt profusely.There is no moving on.I just wish people would remember that anything they say out in an open and public forum like this....Will and can be seen by family of the victims.I may be acting this way because i am still bitter about what happened.But by all respects I have every right to be.We are still living this nightmare to this day...as things are still not settled.I just wish it would end and the pain would go away!

      Delete