Thursday, September 29, 2011

Interesting fact from the CDC

Just to get away from the numbers.

From Violence is a significant economic burden costing society about $47 billion a year in total medical and work loss costs.
Firearm-related injuries were the leading mechanism (cause) of violence-related death, representing 58% of all violent deaths. These injuries accounted for $27.7 billion in total medical and work loss costs. Suffocation and poisoning were the next two highest-ranking mechanisms of violent death, with a total combined cost of $7.8 billion and $4.6 billion, respectively.

5 comments:

  1. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The costs of violent fatalities is relatively small compared to the costs associated with violent injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Laci, and I agree with you completely Jade about the additional greater cost of injuries.

    I have to admit, after Laci's dildo video, I was a little surprised that suffocation and poison were the next two highest 'mechanisms' for violence. I was expecting bladed weapons to be second. Unfortunately, now when I think of stabbings, my mind involuntarily flashes on the dildo video for a moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to call it the knife exchange video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please stop reminging me of that "knife exchange" video.

    Thanks for posting the CDC stats. Maybe the hard-hearted bastards who aren't moved by the loas of life will listen up when we talk about the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, the cost to society is merely the "cost of freedom".

    ReplyDelete