Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mike W. on Open Carry

Our former commenter and frequent critic Mike W, has posted an intriguing piece on open carry.

Most people don't even notice. Those who do notice tend to fall into one of 3 categories.

1. Notice but don't seem to care
2. Notice and keep looking at the gun
3. Notice and are looking at you like you're carrying around dead kittens in your arms.

Surprisingly no one comes up to me and asks if I'm carrying because I have a small trouser monkey.
I've often tried to fathom the depths of the Mike W. thinking, which not unlike Weer'd Beard's, remains elusive to me.

What do you think?  Was he joking when he said most people don't even notice? Is he talking about most people at the gun range? He can't be talking about walking on a downtown street while window shopping.  There, I can assure you people notice and fall right into his category 2 or 3.

What's your opinion?  And what the hell is a "trouser monkey?"  Is that a cool nickname for a small gun that is open carried?  I would think it would get the same attention as a military-issued .45, unless it's not even visible.

Which brings up a question.  In open carry, can a person wear an overcoat which in effect conceales the gun?

Please leave a comment.

11 comments:

  1. "What do you think? Was he joking when he said most people don't even notice?...He can't be talking about walking on a downtown street while window shopping. There, I can assure you people notice and fall right into his category 2 or 3."

    Mike,

    You would be surprised how many people blunder around in their own little world, ignoring others that share the same sidewalk or store aisle. That self-centered attitude, along with the fact that so many people carry cell phones, PDA's etc on their belts these days means that, yes, as long as you do not stand out and blend in with the rest of the herd, a large percentage of those you would encounter do not notice you are open carrying. Its kind of sad, really.

    "Which brings up a question. In open carry, can a person wear an overcoat which in effect conceales the gun?"

    No, that would be concealed carry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's never run into me.

    On the rare occasion I run into a CCW carrier--I make sure he feels inadequate. Typically, I'll point him out to others and make some reference about how the Enzyte of Extenz didn't work. I'll also ask if his parents know he's got a gun.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking a contest to name Mike W's 'trouser monkey' is in order.

    How about:
    Mr. Lonely
    Deadwood
    The dripping edge of nanotechnology

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is going to ask a guy with a gun if he's compensating? Safer to ask him what he thinks of O-bamma.

    I watched an amusing TV show about open carry where a female student from UCSF strapped on with a proponent. After roaming around downtown San Francisco and getting some major hassles from people who didn't want to see it, they went to a barbecue where everyone had a holstered gun. Apparently the law states the guns can't be loaded. They just parade around to try to get other people comfortable with the idea.

    WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'mon FWM, you're trying too hard with that explanation. Let me pin you down. Do you agree with Mike W. or not?

    "Most people don't even notice."

    ReplyDelete
  6. MikeB,

    On the few times I have opened carry, granted I do not do it on a regular basis, no one has made the least bit of comment or gave any reaction that would suggest they even noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only open carried once, on my way to and from the range, and no one seemed to notice. I certainly didn't get any comments or notice any stares.

    BTW, way to stay classy as usual, Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colin: Surely thaey were snickering at you. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to know what Jadegold does when he is out in public -- staring at men's waists and groins.

    Work for TSA also Jadegold?

    ReplyDelete
  10. FWM, As a big critic of my using anecdotal stories to draw sweeping conclusions, your few personal open-carry experiences aside, I ask again.

    Do you agree with Mike W. or not?

    "Most people don't even notice."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Mike, I agree. Most don't even notice.

    But not because most recognize a person carrying a gun as a daily, normal occurrence, but rather because most people walk around in their own little fog and do not pay attention to others around them. Most people today have a herd mentality.

    ReplyDelete