Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Guns on Texas Campuses

Why Evolution is True posted a wonderful article critical of the upcoming Texas legislation.  Included was this quote from a conservative student and a believer in gun rights.

Frankie Shulkin, a first-year law student at the University of Texas, said he doesn’t think he’d feel safer if other students in his classes had guns.
“If I was taking an exam and knew the person next to me had one, I don’t know how comfortable I would feel,” Shulkin said. “I am in favor of guns rights and your typical conservative guy, but the classroom thing bugs me.”
What's your opinion? Please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. “I am in favor of guns rights and your typical conservative guy, but the classroom thing bugs me."

    I don't understand. Why is he in favor of "your typical conservative guy"? And if the "classroom thing" bothers him, should he be attending the university?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what the rate of concealed carrying people is around this guy in everyday life? Where I live in Oregon, statistically 1 in 27 adults around me in public has a Concealed Handgun License.

    Well, OK, if you factor me in, maybe it's a little less, since I am one of the 1 in 27. But you get the point: If he's worried about someone in class next to him, what about someone sitting next to him at the movies, or in a restaurant, or at the mall?

    Peaceably armed citizens are everywhere. We have proven to be overwhelmingly trustworthy with our firearms (more so than the average citizen). There should be no imaginary line around college campuses prohibiting firearms - either make it a strongly secured fortress with armed guards and metal detectors to enforce the gun free zone, or eliminate the useless "gun free" boundary.

    ...Orygunner...

    ReplyDelete