Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Never Underestimate.........

 
Ah, the importance of securing firearms!

Ah, the hubris of those who believe they have control, and then clearly lose that control!

To paraphrase the lyrics of that old standard Young at Heart:
My dreams could come true, it could happen to you.
When you are dumb at heart.
It's hard, you will find, when you're narrow of mind,
To keep guns 'n criminals apart.
You go to extremes with impossible firearm schemes,
You can cry, you can scream, fall apart at the seams.
Your imagination's more excited with each passing day,
Goblins grabbing your guns, cops not on the way.
I may add other improvised lyrics as my time permits, or revise the above.

In the meantime, the following story is a perfect example of why it is the best laid plans of mice and men "gang aft aglay"....and they couldn't be more embarrassingly "aglay" than this story.

From MSNBC.com

Handcuffed man steals police car full of guns

After taking the vehicle, the suspect subsequently radioed for help in finding a key to unlock himself 

msnbc.com news services

updated 2 hours 50 minutes ago
Police in northwest Indiana have found a police cruiser they say was stolen by a handcuffed drug suspect who subsequently radioed  to ask where to find the car's cigarette lighter — and a key to unlock himself, police said.
"There was a conversation between him and one of our officers," Porter County Sheriff's Sgt. Larry LaFlower said. The sheriff's deputy did not tell Blankenship how to remove the handcuffs or use the cigarette lighter, and instead tried to talk Blankenship into pulling over and giving himself up, LaFlower said.
LaFlower says police found the Kouts cruiser Wednesday morning "wrecked and submerged in water" in southern LaPorte County.
The suspect, William Francis Blankenship, 22, wasn't with the car, a white 2010 Chevrolet Impala, which was believed to contain an undetermined number of guns, according to the Post-Tribune.
Police say Blankenship somehow escaped from the back of the vehicle and drove it away after he was arrested on drug charges in Kouts, a small Indiana town about 50 miles southeast of Chicago.
LaFlower says the officer who arrested him was the only one on duty at the time.
He didn't say if loaded guns left in the vehicle were still there.
I would expect the police would have assured the public about the guns being found if they had been, so the lack of that information being provided does concern me.  It is the arrogance of assuming one is in control, regardless of the indicators to the contrary, that is just one symptom of cognitive bias, and which can be assumed to explain at least some firearms ending up in the custody of other people than the proper owners.


I was looking for a fun mouse with a gun image to use to tie in to the Robert Burn's poem about plans going wrong, when I came across this.  I don't know the story behind the photo, or who it is, and I don't want to know.

Something here has gone terribly 'aglay' with this gun nut, clearly, but it sure is funny.  If one of our readers recognizes this Minnie Mouse hat wearing 'shootist', and can figure out who or what he is supposed to be, either historic or fictional, do share with the rest of us!

I wonder if this guy keeps his glasses, hat, mustache, jewelry, and of course loaded firearm all on the same nightstand when he goes to sleep, or if some of his prized treasures go into the drawer of the nightstand.  Clearly, ALL of his fetish objects must be important to his self-image and security.

I know who it reminds me of..........

7 comments:

  1. These were police officers who screwed up. In other words, the people who are supposed to know what they're doing. By the way, isn't it standard practice to put the suspect's hands behind his back?

    The difference with me is that I don't have drug suspects lounging in my home. I don't have a high probability of people like this having access to my belongings, unlike a police cruiser.

    You do have yet to tell me how someone is going to gain control over my handgun on my nightstand without waking me up in the process. This article is not an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, changing the lyrics to a copyrighted song without the lyricists permission may be illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another example of why I want to have firearms. I don't particularly like the hassle of keeping them secured, sighting them, target practicing, cleaning, and sometimes carrying them around.

    Nevertheless, I keep firearms for the times when something goes wrong ... when something fails. Whether it is our mental health system, criminal justice system, the public education system, someone's parenting job, a lock on a door, my verbal directions for a criminal to stop, or a police officer that left his car unattended with the keys in the ignition ... my firearms are my last line of defense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dog gone said..."I don't know the story behind the photo, or who it is, and I don't want to know.

    Something here has gone terribly 'aglay' with this gun nut, clearly, but it sure is funny. If one of our readers recognizes this Minnie Mouse hat wearing 'shootist', and can figure out who or what he is supposed to be, either historic or fictional, do share with the rest of us!"


    Not sure what you want but, I was drunk one night playing with my revolver when all of a sudden someone jumped out of the bushes with a camera and snapped this here photo of me. I've been trying to get it removed from the interwebs, but it just keeps popping back up. Luckily I do get paid $.03 every time it's viewed, so please have my check ready in three days.

    Actually the photo is Photoshopped and I don't know who it is, it was made for a photo bowl. The image is (c) All Rights Reserved, and you can find the artist's page here

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's actually a good picture. The focus is on the nutcase, and not the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here is yet another reason I want to keep and bear firearms.

    A man knocked on the door of a 53 year old woman. When she opened the door, the man blasted her with pepper spray and busted into the room with her. In spite of the pepper spray, the woman struggled with the man, broke free, ran into her bedroom, found her pistol, and proceeded to shoot at the man when he followed into her bedroom.

    Maybe pepper spray isn't all that effective after all. Is that why police officers carry firearms?

    For you doubting Thomases, here is a link to the article:
    http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/01/06/woman-pepper-sprayed-by-home-intruder-shoots-back/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dog Gone,

    While we're on the subject of how we represent ourselves on the Internet, I think you'd do better with Sargent's "Ellen Terry as Lady MacBeth." That would suit your personality well. Of course, I've always liked his portrait of Teddy Roosevelt.

    ReplyDelete