Saturday, October 23, 2010

O.J. Simpson Stays in Prison

Yahoo News reports what some will undoubtedly consider good news.

LAS VEGAS – The Nevada Supreme Court has refused to overturn O.J. Simpson's armed robbery and kidnapping convictions stemming from a Las Vegas hotel room heist.

But the court on Friday ordered his co-defendant's conviction in the case reversed.

The 63-year-old Simpson is serving nine to 33 years at a state prison. His co-defendant, Clarence "C.J." Stewart, is serving 7 1/2 to 27 years at High Desert Prison northwest of Las Vegas.

Both men were convicted of kidnapping, armed robbery, conspiracy and other crimes for what Simpson maintained was an attempt to retrieve family photos and mementoes.
I was wrong in my prediction. But I still say the kidnapping charge is nonsense and he's paying for something he was acquitted of 10 years earlier. The whole thing is a disgraceful abuse of the legal system. But that's Nevada for you.

What's your opinion? Please leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Lovelock Correctional Center Blues
    Or Epitaph to a Superstar

    When I was just a has-been
    Still beloved by my fans;
    My buddy Kato told me
    You get off that crystal man!
    But I stabbed my wife in Brentwood
    Just to watch her die.
    Now I heard that court's decision
    I hang my head and cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever happened to "one strike, you're out"? Does it only apply to gun owners?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, AztecRed, it does not count only for gun owners. It counts for people who actually commit a crime. My thing about gun crime is we neeed to change the way we look at misdemeanors. But that has nothing to do with a guy who's been railroaded on a kidnappinig charge because he made a laughing stock of the judicial system 10 years earlier.

    ReplyDelete