Monday, November 19, 2012

Missouri Hunting Accident - 1 Dead

Local news reports

Authorities say a man was killed in a hunting accident Sunday morning in Reynolds County. 

According to Reynolds County Sheriff Tom Volner, Sunday morning around 7:30 , a group of hunters went out to hunt in the Lesterville area.

Volner says as they went out, the hunters spread out on their own.  According to the sheriff, the  50-year-old hunter was shot and killed by another hunter in his group from about 50 to 75 yards away.  

Sheriff Volner says the 50-year-old man was not wearing any orange attire and had a white beard. Volner says the shooting is not being considered suspicious and was purely accidental.
Are they saying it was considered an accident BECAUSE the victim was not wearing orange clothing? Is that why the shooter was excused for his gross negligence?

What's your opinion?  Please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. This is gonna be a long post and have to qualify it by saying I know the hunter personally that shot and killed his cousin. He's shattered by the event.

    Frankly, there was negligence on both parts. Wearing blaze orange is a state mandate for a reason. Knowing your target is a personal mandate but every bit as important. I've been a hunter for 45 years on both public and private ground and have always taken every precaution to insure my personal safety. I was taught to NEVER take a chance. My father wouldn't even let me wear brown gloves in spite of the orange cap & vest; you never know what a hunter may see from his vantage point. Growing up in PA, rifle season then for bucks and does were separate, so you darn well better have known what you're shooting at. I opposed the Game Commission change there to allow buck and doe season to run concurrently for obvious reasons. Now that I live and hunt in MO, am even more diligent about making sure I can be seen in the woods. I can't condone the most serious of hunting accidents. This was a terrible mistake for both parties involved and my friend is going to have to deal with this horrible event for the rest of his life. Nonetheless, I personally believe his cousin made a grievous error in not insuring his personal safety. As I understand it, he acknowledged and forgave his cousin for the accident before he passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your personal perspective.

      Delete