Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unintentional School Shooting

AOL News reports, via Penigma.
A gun in a student's backpack went off by accident this morning, wounding two teenagers in a classroom at Gardena High School in the Los Angeles metro area, according to reports.

A sophomore had brought the gun to school in his backpack, and it discharged when he dropped the bag during health class.

A 15-year-old girl was shot in the head and a 15-year-old boy was hit in the shoulder, the news reports said.
I'm sure the individual-responsibility crowd is happy with blaming 15-year-olds for their actions. I have a bit of a problem with that, I'm afraid. I'd want to know if the gun belonged to dad. If so, I'd want to know why the teenager had access to it. For curiosity's sake I'd like to know what training and instructions the boy had received from his dad.

Simply put, although I agree a 15-year-old is usually mature enough to answer for his actions, I'd insist on holding the dad responsible for his.

What's your opinion? Please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment