Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Captain Beefheart Festival 2011-2012 - 5th Night of the Living Van Vliet

Here's the explanation of the origin and the dates.

Thanks to Microdot for the title of the Festival.

Zen Comix has joined the festivities.

Art Tripp recalled that when he and the original Magic Band listened to Unconditionally Guaranteed, they "were horrified. As we listened, it was as though each song was worse than the one which preceded it." Beefheart later disowned both albums, calling them "horrible and vulgar", asking that they not be considered part of his musical output and urging fans who bought them to "take copies back for a refund".



The decks were stacked
The wind blew low, the wind blew high
The stakes were low, the stakes were high
Upon the My-O-My
Hands low, hands high,
Ho-ho-ho, hi-hi-hi
Hands low, hands high
Upon the My-O-My

How was I to know she was so shy?
Upon the My-O-My
Across the light, across the night
You can hear the Captain's cry
Hands low, hands high
Upon the My-O-My
Got to make her roll, got to make her fly
Upon the My-O-My

Now tell me, good Captain,
How does it feel
To be driven away from your own steering wheel
Upon the My-O-My . . .

5 comments:

  1. I think in the context of Beefhearts entire work, this stuff gains from the perspective of time. He was pressured into releasing commercial product and it is totally jarring in the context of his true vision. It doesn't prevent me from appreciating it years later. You have to admit he shows total commitment to the music and does things with it no one else could have.
    I'm going to post something else tonight....there is so much. I posted the live version of Electricity and Sho Nuff n Yes I do from 1968 in Cannes 2 days ago. Then I got derailed by hearing an unreleased Die Artwoord cut....but back to the captain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's a little dutch "humor"http://youtu.be/I-KiGb1a7vY

    ReplyDelete
  3. big whoops, that was the wrong link...that was a little bizarre conceptual french humor...here's the dutch piece:http://youtu.be/RjTTuXwm2dQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, one more post here, I did post another piece. An incredible set of three live songs from 1971 from the great Channel 56 Detroit Alternative Music Program, TubeWorks...I actually saw this when it was broadcast...I unconditionally guarantee that this will make you feel like a lamb romping in the DADA sun after eating too much ergot infested hay.....http://thebrainpolice.blogspot.com/2012/02/when-big-joan-sets-up.html

    ReplyDelete