Friday, March 23, 2012

The New York Times Version of Gun Control

The Truth About Guns posted about this New York Times article by columnist Gail Collins.  Part of her solution to the gun violence problem is this incredible passage.

. . . a strict national gun-control law that makes it very difficult to get a concealed weapons permit, permits gun dealers to sell only one handgun per individual per year, and makes it illegal for even permit holders to keep handguns anywhere but their home, store or car glove compartment unless they are employed in the security business.
One of the TTAG commenters copied and pasted this comment from the New York Times:

“Dean H Hewitt Sarasota, FL

March 22, 2012 at 7:26 a.m. RECOMMENDED 451

I live in Florida and you should hear the excuses to carry a gun to the local Starbucks. Most of the guys wanting concealed weapons permits are of two main ilk. There is the group who have had minimal exposure to firearms and think after watching Jason Bourne Movies, it would be cool to carry and have an impact (like save the damsel in distress). The other main group is the masculine tribe who have gone to seed. Yeah that group who hasn’t seen their own junk in twenty years with out the help of a mirror. They may have been in the military, maybe once been an avid hunter but I believe worried they no longer have it to protect themselves or project the proper image. They want the gun to feel like a man. Both groups are scary because we may get shot in the crossfire. Just to frame these comments, I served in the military during Vietnam. I also carried in 5 different states while working for Brinks as a manager. It is not fun to carry, at least for me. It is a responsibility to properly act when you have such power. I never though it was worth the risk to me or others.”

I haven't had such a good laugh all morning. Between Gail's one-gun-a-year suggestion and Dean's "two main ilk," I don't know what's funnier. Of course, I loved it all.

What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. "I haven't had such a good laugh all morning. Between Gail's one-gun-a-year suggestion and Dean's "two main ilk," I don't know what's funnier. Of course, I loved it all.

    What do you think?"


    I think it is terrible for you to laugh at retarded people like those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wrong. Your comment really made me laugh.

      Delete
  2. Laughter at contemptable people is always warranted. I get a good laugh at Democommie's expense on a regular basis, for example. What Collins demonstrates is that even idiots can be paid good salaries for their foolishness. I wonder how she would react if someone made a similar proposal to restrict a right that she cares about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man you guys are a bunch of crazys, guns are not bad, there are bad people. go ahead try to take my guns....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, please spare us the macho bullshit which you learned listening to the NRA clowns.

    Preventing bad people from getting guns is the idea. What do you find wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one thing, except that your proposals won't stop bad people from getting guns. Your proposals only disarm good people.

      Delete
    2. Wrong Greg. My proposals would stop SOME bad people from getting guns and would not prevent ANY good guys.

      Delete
    3. Perhaps I'm lumping together all the proposals that I've seen on this site, but you haven't challenged Dog Gone's desires, so I figured that you agreed with them. But even just the ones that you've suggested would do far more than inconvenience good citizens a little. You want half of us to be disarmed. You haven't said how that will be done, but the doing of it would involve a huge growth of government power. I call you out for forgetting civil rights when it serves your purposes. Wake up, Mikeb. The more power that you give to the government, the less in control of your own life you have.

      Delete
  5. That was not a macho statement in my last post, the fact is you can try to take them but I would fight….. open your eyes, guns are not the issue. People are. You cannot stop bad people from getting guns they will get them. I would be law abiding people like me who gets burned by any laws. Look at prohibition people still got drunk. And if congress would to pass any radical gun control law we would have another civil war. If you do not like the laws here move got to the UK where they are banned but the bad guys still get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call that kind of bullshit talk, macho because NO ONE is coming for your guns. There's no other reason to say such a thing.

      Gun control can stop SOME criminals from getting guns. Don't you gun guys argue all the time that knife crime went up in the UK because criminals could no longer get guns so easily?

      Good people like you would not get burned. You might be inconvenienced a tiny bit, but if you're law abiding you have nothing to fear.

      Prohibition is the stupidest comparison you could make. I'm not talking about outlawing guns or confiscating guns, I'm talking about controlling them better.

      Civil war, Bwaaahahahahaha.

      Delete
  6. Hello Dude,

    Gun control laws exist at many levels. There are federal laws, state laws and municipal ordinances that regulate gun sale and possession. The laws of the state of New York on gun control are some of the most stringent in the nation. Thanks a lot.....

    ReplyDelete