Monday, March 19, 2012

To Carry, or Not To Carry, The Dilemma

MArooned: To Carry, or Not To Carry, That is the Question...: The NRA's 2012 Annual Meeting is less than a month away. In a little over three weeks, I'll be getting on a plane {shudder} and winging my way to St. Louis for the meeting, arriving Thursday and heading home Monday.

The question arises, then: Is it worth the hassle of flying with a firearm (remember, I'm flying out of Logan Airport and changing planes in Chicago, so I hit two of the major GFW states on this trip)?

Ordinarily, I'd brave the hassle of flying with a firearm out of Logan and through Chicago, except that this year, the venue is specifically prohibited from concealed carry. Additionally, MO prohibits carrying in bars and restaurants, so this means that I'd be able to carry legally when I'm... um... in my hotel room. I just can't reconcile the hassle with the very limited opportunity to carry.

It's not like Pittsburgh, where the venue was okay with open or concealed carry and bars/restaurants were okay (but could post). That's all kinds of worth it, and if it were Phoenix, I'd deal with flying with guns. I just don't see putting up with the TSA, transfers, worrying about everything, only to lock the gun up in the hotel room for all but the 8 hours I'm sleeping there.

The commenters expressed agreement with this terrible quandary.  Here's my comment:

Aren't you guys concerned that all this talk of not taking your guns will attract the bad guys like catnip to cats.

That is one of your major arguments isn't it, bad guys seek out the sitting ducks? 
What's your opinion? Wouldn't the decision to not carry a gun be tantamount to irresponsibility, according to their definition of it? Aren't these the same guys who continually talk about sheep and sheep dogs, the latter being the armed ones? Yet, now, after a bit of discussion they'll all travel to a city like St. Louis, no stranger to violence, unarmed? What gives?

Please leave a comment.

17 comments:

  1. Mikeb302000:

    Maybe it's a "reverse psycopathy" ploy. If he sez he won't be bringin' teh gunz but, then, he does bring teh gunz, he will be ready to thwart the vast chambermaidroominvasionperps at the hotel. See, it's all strategeryizin'! Or, maybe he's just an idiot. Ah, what the fuck, I'll go with the more logical explanation, he's an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'd drive, rather than fly, so as to avoid the hassle.

    2. This illustrates the need for better laws. There should be no question about being able to transport one's firearms and no need to worry about reciprocity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not be travelling to that crime ridden city unarmed. I will be driving though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And when you're there will you have to leave the gun in the hotel room? Isn't that the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not exactly. Missouri isn't as restricted as it would seem from that post.

      Delete
    2. Arkansas has reciprocity with Missouri, so were I to attend, I could carry. I really don't see why your side gets so agitated about reciprocity.

      Delete
    3. The problem Jay was whining about is that the convention center as well as bars and restaurants are gun free.

      Delete
    4. Mikeb, you "whine" about violations of civil and basic rights. When you respect all rights, we'll have more respect for your positions.

      Delete
    5. Bars are gun free but restaurants that serve alcohol are not criminal protection zones. You can still carry in a restaurant, just not in the bar area of the restaurant.

      I am still trying to find out but it may be the convention center is prohibited by law rather than any NRA decision. Charlotte in 2010 was prohibited due to NC law but carry was not prohibited at Louisville, Phoenix or Pittsburgh conventions.

      Delete
    6. Greg, I do respect all rights, it's just that I don't believe carrying a gun is one of them.

      In fact when you think about what the demi-gods you call the Founding Fathers meant by "all men," I have a better understanding of "rights" than they did.

      Delete
    7. Self defense is a fundamental right, and firearms are a right derived from that and from the basic right to property.

      Delete
    8. A right derived from a right? C'mon Greg, that's crap.

      A right to life
      A right to self-defense
      A right to own a particular inanimate object

      You and your friends are biased spin doctors.

      Delete
  5. mikeb302000;

    "And when you're there will you have to leave the gun in the hotel room? Isn't that the problem?"

    Well, no, not likely. I mean, c'mon, youve got the gunz, there's a city full of perps to blast and you're gonna leave your piece in the hotel room? You're kidding, right?

    "1. I'd drive, rather than fly, so as to avoid the hassle.".

    Obviously you're not visiting a number of states that have some interesting things going on--or anyplace outside the continental U.S. Yep, gunz will definitely make you free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the hell are you yammering about now, Democommie? "Interesting things going on"? Arkansas has reciprocity with forty states. I can't carry in New York, California, or Massachusetts, but then, I wasn't planning to go to those states anytime soon, anyway. But are you doing a lot of world travelling these days? I don't feel particularly inhibited within the borders of the United States.

      Delete
  6. "What the hell are you yammering about now, Democommie?
    Interesting things going on?...I can't carry in New York, California, or Massachusetts, but then, I wasn't planning to go to those states anytime soon, anyway."

    So, for those of us who live here, there is an upside to your childish dependence on weaponry? I look forward to never seeing you in those states.

    "I don't feel particularly inhibited within the borders of the United States."

    Spoken like a true isolationist fan of Ron "The Loozer" Paul. After all, international travel might mitigate your indignorance, can't let that happen.

    The only thing that keeps me from travelling is lack of funds. You of course won't have that problem, as you've got a viselike grip on the sweet teat of gummint, what with that teachin' job 'n'all. I admit that I find it a bit odd that someone so distrustful of gummint has no trouble being a tool of same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you noticed fuel prices lately? Driving and flying both are expensive right now. Few people are travelling these days.

      Delete
    2. "The only thing that keeps me from travelling is lack of funds"

      Well you only have yourself to blame for the lack of funds.

      Delete