Thursday, March 22, 2012

Accidental Shooting of Memphis Woman by Uncle in the Next Room - No Charges Filed

The Commercial Appeal reports

A gunshot apparently accidentally fired by a relative in bed today went through a wall and struck a woman sleeping with her two-month-old daughter in South Memphis, according to police.

After a preliminary investigation, no charges are anticipated in the shooting that took place about 6 a.m. at a house in the 1800 block of Meadowhill, said Sgt. Karen Rudolph, a spokeswoman for the police department.

A 20-year-old woman was sleeping with her infant daughter in her parents' home when she was shot in her left arm, police reported.

Her 46-year-old uncle apparently accidentally fired a gun kept under his pillow. The bullet struck his hand, passed through a wall and hit his niece, according to the initial police investigation.

The niece and the uncle were listed in good condition at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis, hospital officials said.
Like many true gun lovers, he kept a gun under his pillow while sleeping. And like many of his fellows, he made a little mistake. Luckily the neice or her baby in the next room weren't killed. But since it was an "accident," he probably wouldn't have been charged even if someon had died. That's Tennessee.

What's your opinion? Please leave a comment.

10 comments:

  1. Sleeping with a gun under one's pillow is a cliche. I keep mine on my nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another epic fail of a paranoid gun nut. Luckily no one died... this time. I wonder if he will change his habits, thinking, "Oh, maybe keeping a loaded, unsecured firearm inches from my brain when I'm unconscious isn't a good idea!" or if any other gun nut reading this will think the same? Probably not. Common sense matters little when you're paranoid enough to arm yourself every moment, awake or asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Baldr, maybe his neighborhood of Memphis is like Magadishu.

      Other than that, I agree with you completely.

      Delete
    2. What good is a gun that I can't get to if I need it? That's exactly what your side wants. You want guns to be expensive and frightening toys with no practical application. No deals.

      Delete
    3. IF you need it, that's the key. Take other reasonable precautions and you probably won't, you certainly won't need it in a matter of seconds. What the hell are you picturing, stealth home-invaders entering your home without your hearing them? Or maybe they'll drive a semi into the front of your house in order to gain immediate entrance.

      This is why Robert Farago preaches home carry. It's all paranoia which you then twist and turn to justify.

      Delete
    4. Twist and turn? How so? What I do in my own home isn't really anyone's business, so long as I'm not harming people. I don't have to justify what I do at home to you. But a home invasion can happen rapidly or slowly, and there's no way to know, since goblins don't call in advance to get permission.

      I do take a variety of precautions. Anyone breaking in to my home will face my dog. She's a sweetie to her family, but she can't stand strangers. That's an example. Guns are an additional security measure. You just can't accept that they have a place.

      Delete
  3. "Sleeping with a gun under one's pillow is a cliche. I keep mine on my nightstand."

    With "13+1 onboard", no doubt. And I'm sure that Purrfessur Camp sleeps with one eye open and comes instantly and fully awake from deep sleep, can scoop up his hand cannon and put triple tap an intruder, even if it's his live-in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 8 + 1, since my 1911 rests on my nightstand.

      Delete
  4. What? You only keep something with a capacity of nine rounds on your nightstand, to protect home and hearth? And what about all of those other gunz you gotz lyin' round your crib? Are they all locked and loaded, too? I mean, you have said in the past that you don't need to secure your gunz, 'cuz there ain't no little kidz around and that must mean that they're lyin' all over the place, ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall I send you blueprints and a list of the house's contents? When can I expect you to visit?

      Delete