Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Ohio 14-Year-old Accidentally Shot at the Gun Range

Local news

A 14-year-old boy was shot in the leg at a local gun range in what police said appears to be an accidental firing of a gun.
Sharonville Police said the boy was struck by a bullet in the leg while the owner of a gun was reloading and the gun discharged a single round.
The gun's owner, whom police did not identify pending their on-going investigation, was also injured in his hand when the gun fired. Police said the man refused treatment for his injury.
Police are continuing their investigation and have not filed any charges in connection with the shooting.
Target World employees said the range remained open for business in the aftermath of the shooting.


  1. I started out thinking this to be what I refer to as a negligent discharge caused by finger on the trigger syndrome with lack of muzzle awareness thrown in. However is seems to be something quite different,

    "Sharonville Police cite "weapon malfunction" as the cause.
    "Our initial investigation reveals a shell exploded inside the chamber of the weapon, which released shrapnel or bullet fragments and part of the shell casing out of the weapon and struck the child's leg and the injured the adult's hand," said Sharonville Lt. John Cook.

    Officials stated the incident is still under investigation.

    "According to Sgt. Scott Tamm:
    > A man in his 50s was loading an SKS rifle with a clip of .762 caliber ammo.
    > The gun was on a table and horizontal to ground, not pointed at anyone.
    > As the slide was pulled back and released, the weapon discharged.
    > The boy was there with his father. Both are friends of the gun owner."

    In the military, as you know, this is called a cook-off. Its actually pretty hard to with semi-automatic firearms. I wonder how many rounds they had gone through to get it that hot...

    1. This "heat" factor is not part of gun safety training? Why not?

    2. "This "heat" factor is not part of gun safety training? Why not? "

      Because its pretty rare issue with semi-automatic firearms. Its normally something that is more common with belt fed machine guns or very large ordinance, mortars, cannon, etc.
      With those items, there is usually a period of time in which to wait after a stoppage, so that if it does happen, the round will travel safely downrange.

    3. If it's causing people to get shot (see above article) maybe ranges should put a limit on how many rounds can be fired by one gun, or a time out after so many rounds are fired from one gun.

    4. That sounds like one of the highly rare malfunctions.

    5. Agreed, but it did happen. The same reason we have laws on how people who sell, or store explosives must store and handle those explosives. A bullet is an explosive and if heat along can set it off, then it should be treated with that in mind.

    6. Modern smokeless powders are very safe as evidenced by the lack of laws limiting individual possession.

    7. OMG, the lack of laws prove its safe? Thanks for the laugh.

    8. Well, it certainly doesn't seem to have been an issue. Ranges can implement any rules they see fit, however, as I said earlier, this usually isn't an issue with weapons that aren't belt fed.
      Glad I could brighten your day.