Monday, March 14, 2011

More on the Secret FOID List

STL Today published an op-ed by Kevin Horrigan which makes some good points. Basically he's questioning why gun owners are so upset at the prospect of their names being made public.

Maybe the gang members and criminals on the mean streets of Hinsdale are smarter than the ones I've met. A lot of them can barely read. What are the odds that they're going to go through 1.3 million names (think of two fat phone books), and then try to find addresses (the attorney general says the addresses of FOID card owners don't have to be released) and then drive themselves to the right Bob Johnson's house and steal his guns?

Wouldn't it be easier to follow cars with pro-gun bumper stickers or NRA window decals?
What's your opinion? Is there another reason for opposition to the thtreatment of the FOID card list like other public records?

Please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. The biggest reason I hear that more people do not place stickers on the car is the reason you mention. So it goes to figure it would be the same.

    But more and to the point, I don't think my employer needs to know my business, or my dentist, or anyone I don't openly tell.

    While the criminals might not read well, they can figure out the names of the neighbors.

    So a question to you? If there was a National Database of all US owned guns, hypothetically speaking of course, would you open those records for everyone to see what I owned and stored in my house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If there was a National Database of all US owned guns, hypothetically speaking of course, would you open those records for everyone to see what I owned and stored in my house?"

    No, not open to everyone.

    ReplyDelete